Move Mikrotik gateways to another domain without having to import ConfigScriptHotSpotRouterOS
Topics about the wireless hardware

Rate this topic
2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Gerard

Move Mikrotik gateways to another domain without having to import ConfigScriptHotSpotRouterOS

by Gerard » 18 Apr 2018, 12:42

Hi!
Due one of our clients change of mind and this post: http://forum.hsnetworkmanager.com/viewt ... f=9&t=4166 we have to change the way this client has been setup. 
Nowadays we have one domain and multiple gateways (Mikrotik)
We decided to go this path because the client  use same products / templates / and email (atleast as far as 1 week ago) on all gateways.
Now our client demands to be able to send different emails determined from which gateway the user has connected.
So, we are going from this scheme:

Client
###GeneralDomain
######Gateway1
######Gateway2
######Gateway3
######Gateway4

To this one:

Client
###Domain1
######Gateway1
###Domain2
######Gateway2
###Domain3
######Gateway3
###Domain4
######Gateway4

This gateways are in different locations and my question is:
If I setup all the domains and I create the gateways can I change some values in the scripts (remotely) so the gateways will connect to the new domains and work from there? 
I know it may be tricky but we prefer to make those changes remotely because the locations are hundreds of kilometres away from each other and also those gateways have more complicated configurationss (apart from HSNM hotspot).

Thanks!

HSNMSupport

Re: Move Mikrotik gateways to another domain without having to import ConfigScriptHotSpotRouterOS

by HSNMSupport » 18 Apr 2018, 16:15

Hi Gerard,

the only thing it comes me to mind is to manually perform some steps/commands:

1. configure new gateways in the HSNM and then download the new configuration files
2. edit the downloaded .RSC file and before mikrotik commands start add this command: "delay 15s;" (just to be as much clear as possible, the command to add is what I've written between "")
3. connect to customer gateway through winbox. Delete the old .RSC file and the old hotspot folder. Copy the new .RSC file and the new hotspot folder
4. open the mikrotik terminal and run this command: system reset-configuration no-default=yes run-after-reset=.RSCFileName (of course instead of .RSCFileName you have to set the name of the new .RSC file you just copied)

Pay attention that if everything went wrong the only thing you can do is to go to the customer to manually configure the gateway.

The only other thing that it comes me to mind is to configure a new gateway, with the new configuration, in your office and then send it to your customer in order to replace the old gateway. Then your customer will send the old gateway back to you. This is the only way to be 100% sure.

Best Regards.

Rate this topic