Apple laptops stuck at login / registration process
HSNM Front-end Welcome Portal general discussion about HTML, CSS, layout, custom apps, templates

Rate this topic
28 posts
Gerard

Apple laptops stuck at login / registration process

by Gerard » 06 Feb 2018, 11:20

Hi there!
I've got some complains about Macbooks not bein able to finish de registration / login process.
It doesn't matter if the register a new user or if the use a already registered user, after entering the credentials the screen shows de green "pulsing" circle and it doesnt go further.
It does not happen with all Macbooks but the complains only talk about this hardware.
I have v5.0165 isntalled wich contains this fix:
4) New Increased the timeout to verify the successful connection of the user. In some environments, e.g. cruises that have satellite connections with high latency, the user was not displayed the message informing he was successfully connected.
I thought it could solve it but the complains continue.

Kind regards!

HSNMSupport

Re: Apple laptops stuck at login / registration process

by HSNMSupport » 06 Feb 2018, 12:40

Hi Gerard,

I did many test with a MacBook Pro with macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 (using CNA and directly from Safari or Chrome) and I haven't got any problem. So, I haven't been able to simulate the behaviour you mentioned.
I don't have any other reports about the problem you mentioned.

Can you provide more detailed informations about it?

Best Regards.

Gerard

by Gerard » 08 Feb 2018, 10:09

I also haven't been able to reproduce it, thats why I waited a few days to report it, but it has been reported by different clients.
It happens on large networks (hotels) (the Mikrotik does not have WiFi) but those networks have 350+ active clients all the time so it shouldn't be a network problem: if I create and IP binding for a failing Macbook it automatically it starts browsing without any problem.

Gerard

by Gerard » 09 Feb 2018, 11:40

Hi Gerard,

I did many test with a MacBook Pro with macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 (using CNA and directly from Safari or Chrome) and I haven't got any problem. So, I haven't been able to simulate the behaviour you mentioned.
I don't have any other reports about the problem you mentioned.

Can you provide more detailed informations about it?

Best Regards.
I have some news, the issue has  happened again:
  1. The client connects to the network, the CNA appears.
  2. The user can navigate through the hotspot portal, but once he/she do the login process the portal stops with the green pulsing circle, the process does not finish (and the Mikrotik does not receive the login petition).
  3. If the user closes the CNA (he/she must close it!) and opens Safari, goes to the portal (via http redirect, entering the DNS name...) the process has to start from the beginning but this time it works as intended.
The issues must be on the CNA but it doesnt happen everytime (otherwise we would have received a lot of complains).
Could you please look at it again? This Macbook has  High Sierra 10.3.2.

HSNMSupport

by HSNMSupport » 09 Feb 2018, 15:01

Hi Gerard
Thanks for additional informations; generally this could happen if the client doesn't have any reply from the gateway or if the gateway doesn't have any reply from the radius server inside HSNM.
Please check the wireless connection of the device and, if you can, enable and check the radius LOG on the gateway in order to understand if there is something wrong on radius communication.
Best regards

jnsilver

by jnsilver » 13 Feb 2018, 13:53

Hi,

Since some days I get the same complaints at one of our larger hotspots. Complaints are for Mac OS High Sierra only. When the user tries to login via the Apple CNA it does not work. When the user closes the CNA windows and tries to login directly via Safari it works.

The wireless network is operated by our client. We run the Mikrotik gateway for the Hotspot. HSNM version is 5.0.165

I have no other complaints, only for Mac OS High Sierra.

HSNMSupport

by HSNMSupport » 14 Feb 2018, 11:10

Hi,

So users are keep on seeing the green pulsing circle, aren't they?

Did you try, as asked on previous post, to look at radius logs in the Mikrotik Gateway?
I'm still not able to simulate this issue using our MacBook.

I know it's not easy to know but, are all user's MacBook have an OS version lower than 10.13.1? (the one of our MacBook that seems not to be affected by the problem)

Best Regards.

jnsilver

by jnsilver » 14 Feb 2018, 13:42

Hi,
All users with problems use MAC OS >=10.13.x. I can't give the exact release number. If you MacBook is on version 10.13.1 then releases above that are affected.
Versions below do not have the problem.

HSNMSupport

by HSNMSupport » 14 Feb 2018, 14:09

Hi,

ok, thanks for the latest info.

But, what about radius logs in the Gateway?

Best Regards.

jnsilver

by jnsilver » 14 Feb 2018, 14:36

We have mostly up to 300 concurrent users at the Mikrotik where we see the issue. Radius.log is huge and difficult to track. Especially when we do not have a user that is active at the moment.
Sorry.
I'm there on next Monday. Maybe I can get a MacBook with High Sierra for testing.

Rate this topic